- Giuseppe Ballocchi, CFA
- Hélie d’Hautefort
Wealthy families with a global footprint have liabilities and financial objectives in multiple currencies. To manage their currency risk, it is necessary to abandon the notion of a single reference currency in favor of a customized basket of currencies. We introduce the Global Reserve Currency Index, a useful proxy for the world currency.
1 The concepts developed in this discussion, including the notion of customized currency baskets, except for the Global Reserve Currency Index (GRCI), have been developed and presented by Giuseppe Ballocchi at a number of conferences over the years. Hélie d’Hautefort is the creator of the GRCI. See also Ballocchi (2008).
2 The functions of money were first described by William Stanley Jevons, a British economist (Jevons 1875).
3 The “streetlight effect” refers to an old joke: A police officer sees a drunk man searching for something under a streetlight and asks him what he is looking for. The drunk says he has lost his keys, and the two men look under the streetlight together. After a few minutes, the officer asks the drunk if he is sure he lost his keys here, and the drunk says no, he lost them in the park. The policeman asks why he is searching here, and the drunk replies, “This is where the light is.”
4 For the dollar’s replacement of the pound sterling as the world’s reserve currency, see Chitu, Eichengreen, and Mehl (2014); Eichengreen and Flandreau (2009 and 2012); and Eichengreen (2011).
5 They have also been recently introduced in crisis-stricken eurozone countries, such as Cyprus and Greece.
6 For central banks, Gintschel and Scherer (2004) advocate a dual benchmark optimization approach for wealth and liquidity preservation.
8 Currency basket indexes have been proposed recently by other authors. To our knowledge, the GRCI, introduced in 2009, was the first. The GRCI was developed in response to investor demand for an independent and objective store of global wealth, capable of withstanding currency turmoil and depreciation. It is also used as the reference for recently launched Globcoin® multi-currency accounts. Reserve Currency Solutions owns the intellectual property underpinning the GRCI and produces and maintains the index.
9 The performance hedged into the GRCI is calculated daily as the sum of the performance of the S&P 500 and of the GRCI itself, both expressed in US dollars. It corresponds to an investment in the S&P 500 together with a foreign exchange overlay into the GRCI (short the US dollar and long the GRCI) for the full amount invested into the S&P 500.
- G. Ballocchi,C. Kutscher,G. Schwarz 2016 Die statistische Evaluation von Finanzmarktprognosen. Aktives Portfoliomanagement: Der Anlageentscheidungsprozess von der Prognose bis zum Portfolio Verlag Neue Zürcher Zeitung
- G. Ballocchi 2016 Crisis and Hubris: Thinking Through the Origins of the Current Financial Crisis Performance Measurement and Client Reporting Review Vol. 1 No. 3
- L. Chitu,B. Eichengreen,A. Mehl 2016 When Did the Dollar Overtake Sterling as the Leading International Currency? Evidence from the Bond Markets Journal of Development Economics Vol. 111 No. 11
- CFA Institute 2016 Dominant and Dangerous Economist
- B. Eichengreen 2016 Exorbitant Privilege: The Rise and Fall of the Dollar and the Future of the International Monetary System Oxford University Press
- B. Eichengreen,M. Flandreau 2016 The Rise and Fall of the Dollar (or When Did the Dollar Replace Sterling as the Leading Reserve Currency?) European Review of Economic History Vol. 13 No. 3
- B. Eichengreen,M. Flandreau 2016 The Federal Reserve, the Bank of England, and the Rise of the Dollar as an International Currency, 1914–1939 Open Economies Review Vol. 23 No. 1
- C.B. Erb,C.R. Harvey 2016 The Golden Dilemma Financial Analysts Journal Vol. 69 No. 4
- R. Gintschel,B. Scherer,C. Bernadell,P. Cardon,J. Coche,F.X. Diebold,S. Manganelli 2016 Currency Reserve Management by Dual Benchmark Optimisation. Risk Management for Central Bank Foreign Reserves European Central Bank
- B. Graham,D.L. Dodd 2016 Security Analysis Whittlesey House
- Y. Ijiri,R.K. Jaedicke,K.E. Knight,R.K. Jaedicke,Y. Ijiri,O. Nielsen 2016 The Effects of Accounting Alternatives on Management Decisions Research in Accounting Measurement American Accounting Association
- CFA Institute 2016 Currency Composition of Official Foreign Exchange Reserves (COFER) International Monetary Fund
- William Jevons 2016 Money and the Mechanism of Exchange D. Appleton
- J. Klement,Y. Longchamp 2016 Managing Currency Risks for Global Families Journal of Wealth Management Vol. 13 No. 2
- A. Lo,M. Mueller 2016 Warning: Physics Envy May Be Hazardous to Your Wealth!
- Satoshi Nakamoto 2016 Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System
- C. Reinhart,K. Rogoff 2016 This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly Princeton University Press
- J. Rickards 2016 Currency Wars: The Making of the Next Global Crisis Penguin Group
- K. Suominen 2016 Peerless and Periled: The Paradox of American Leadership in the World Economic Order Stanford University Press