Charlotte Beyer, founder and former CEO of the Institute for Private Investors and author of the CFA Institute Research Foundation brief “Relationship Alpha: The Emerging Competitive Advantage in Wealth Management,” explains what relationship alpha is and why it’s important and how advisers can better serve their clients.
Episode Transcript (PDF)
2:15 Intro: How Charlotte founded the Institute for Private Investors (IPI)
3:56 What has changed in wealth management over the last four decades
7:00 What really works well for advisors?
9:57 Research Foundation brief, Relationship Alpha: what is the relationship alpha and why should advisees care more about it?
3:18 How do advisors improve their authenticity in a virtual setting?
14:45 How does one measure relationship alpha? And can you train relationship alpha?
18:55 Key takeaways for marketing to prospects
21:38 Work at Wharton and eight components of wealth management chats
25:40 How do advisors distinguish themselves? How can advisors know if the client meeting is being successful?
29:25 Charlotte’s book list
32:25 Wrap-up questions
- One long-term change that you hope to see as a result of the pandemic
- What one item would you bring on a long space flight?
- Flight vs. invisibility?
- CFA Institute Research Foundation brief “Relationship Alpha: The Emerging Competitive Advantage in Wealth Management”
- Link to the CFA Institute research (The research is cited on footnote #8 on page 19)
- That's What She Said: What Men Need to Know (and Women Need to Tell Them) About Working Together by Joanne Lipman
- A Wealth of Possibilities: Navigating Family, Money, and Legacy by Ellen Miley Perry
- Download and share Research Foundation content (free to all)