Bridge over ocean
1 January 2012 Financial Analysts Journal Volume 68, Issue 1

Making Retirement Income Last a Lifetime

  1. Stephen C. Sexauer
  2. Michael W. Peskin
  3. Daniel Cassidy

To enable investors to spend down the assets in their defined contribution accounts more easily, the authors propose a decumulation benchmark comprising a laddered portfolio of TIPS for the first 20 years (consuming 88 percent of available capital) and a deferred life annuity purchased with the remaining 12 percent. This portfolio can be used directly by the investor (akin to indexing) or as a benchmark for evaluating the performance of a more aggressive strategy.

Read the Complete Article in Financial Analysts Journal Financial Analysts Journal CFA Institute Member Content

We’re using cookies, but you can turn them off in Privacy Settings.  Otherwise, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.  Accepting cookies does not mean that we are collecting personal data. Learn more in our Privacy Policy.